Thursday, September 24, 2009

gypsy back in business

if I can just get rid of some of this crap I'm carrying around.....

24-9-09
Ok…so it’s been a while since I’ve posted anything. But looking back on the previous entries in my notebook doesn’t excite me as much as the now. So the run down is…..that the last month has improved at the house: both with the girls and with my life outside the house. I made some friends, I’ve been going out more….and I really am going to miss some things and people.

It’s day two of my second half of my Brasil experience and I’m already all smiles. After an 11 hour bus ride into Rio (which saved all but US$50 versus flying), I made it into Rio and to the airport just in time to meet Allison getting out of customs. And off we went! It was (and still is) raining, which has been a bummer…but has added an element of eeriness to it all, which is cool. Especially at the first hostel we stayed at.

Let me explain, as we were looking at out options for the next couple of days, we decided to try out Cabo Frio for a night instead of going all the way to Buzios. It’s within an hour of Buzios, just south actually, and was supposed to have beautiful white sand dunes and a quaint little town. I have heard nothing short of amazing about Buzios, so I thought we’d take a stab at something different first, figuring we weren’t going to want to leave our next destination. Side note: I have to get rid of some shit. I am hating life carrying around two backpacks. I wish I could explain our hostel, but I may have to tell a story instead to give you an idea. It had all the amenities: shower, bathroom, sheets, beds…kitchen…free breakfast….and of course a friendly owner giving us tons of advice. But, on our way back from a nice sandwhich for dinner and acai for dessert in ‘town’ (super dead out and really really small place)…me and Allison were walking by this darker part of the sidewalk and I decided to stay away from it and go into the street. Yea…that dark area that I was thinking looked kind of scary ended up being our place: our deserted, artsy little hostel compound…and our resting place for the night. Haha….gave us a good laugh. I wasn’t laughing when I had to make a tent of my sheet to ward off the bugs at night, or when the rooster outside let us know it was time to get up in 20 minute intervals starting at 6am. The next morning we roamed through the dunes, explored a few beaches down the way and got to climb around the coastline a little bit. Very cool. We didn’t bring our cameras for safety reasons, but to be honest it looked a lot like my trip in Tobermory, Canada just before I got here. The weather added to that effect as well. . . one day down……..and off to Buzios.

We’ve been here only a few hours and we’ve fallen in love with this place. I’m already sad we’re leaving and we still have two more days! It’s quite ‘chique’ in the town….in which we’re staying at a hostel right on the beach, right in town amongst all the shops and other pousadas (cheap hotels for travelers). We have free internet, much nicer amenities than our last stop and tons of other world travelers to entertain us. Our window is actually opposite a room full of guys that are from France…….ah hem….one of which is a ski instructor (named Antwon…cute blonde). The whole group of them just got back from skiing in Chile and Argentina. The skier dude mentioned that he’s skied all around Lake Tahoe….and Bariloche…….and loved both places. Two points for this blondie. We’ll see how the next couple days go here. This weekend is supposed to bring us sun (finally!!) Allison and are are thinking of getting ourselves a brasilian bathing suit tonight. ; ) And we’ll see if we make it to Rio. Especially if we end up getting those lessons from the surfer guy we met at the tourist info booth earlier today. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment